State & Local Information
See Local PV Production in Real Time
- Residential system in Bloomington
- Indiana University (IUB), PV-Therm system combined heat & power production
- City of Bloomington energy dashboard
- Monroe County energy dashboard
Government and Industry
- Indiana Office of Energy Development (OED) provides an overview of the state’s energy plan with a focus on renewable energy. The Solar Energy page summarizes current incentives at the utility, state and federal levels and has links to Energy Grant Resources for funding opportunities. The OED has provided grants for several Bloomington solar projects.
- Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission is a fact-finding body. An advocate of neither the public nor the utilities, the IURC is required by state statute to make decisions that balance the interests of all parties to ensure the utilities provide adequate and reliable service at reasonable prices. IURC regulatory reports are here..
- The annual Indiana Renewable Energy Resources Study is conducted by the State Utility Forecasting Group at Purdue to advise the IURC on use trends and economics.
- Duke Energy Indiana provides information on renewable generating options and net metering in its territory.
- Indiana Electric Cooperatives (IEC) represents Indiana’s 38 REMCs, each with its own net metering or similar policies.
Local Community Coalitions
- Carmel Green Initiative is a coalition of citizens and community groups who promote and support the City of Carmel’s sustainability commitments.
- Energy Matters is a community coalition that promotes sustainability initiatives in the City of Columbus and surrounding Bartholomew County. They are developing a plan to “solar-ize” the area.
- Hoosier Interfaith Power & Light (H-IPL) provides programs and services to congregations and individual members who want to reduce their energy usage and associated costs.
- H-IPL works through regional affiliates in Bloomington, Evansville, Fort Wayne, Indianapolis and Eastside Indianapolis, Kokomo, Muncie and Terre Haute.
- Monroe County Energy Challenge is a partnership of community groups, government, schools, and utilities to improve energy efficiency and reduce consumption from non-renewable sources.
- The Renewable Energy Fund administered by the Community Foundation of Bloomington and Monroe County provides support for local solar projects. Donations to the fund are welcome.
Local Advocacy Groups
- Citizens Action Coalition of Indiana
- Hoosier Environmental Council
- INREA (Indiana Renewable Energy Association)
- Sierra Club, Hoosier Chapter, Beyond Coal Campaign
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL): vast library of renewable technologies and accompanying federal outlook.
- Database of State Incentives for Renewables and Efficiency (DSIRE): comprehensive source of information on state, local, utility, and federal incentives that promote renewable energy and energy efficiency.
- US Department of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE): supports research, development, and deployment projects that increase energy efficiency nationwide.
- Energy.gov provides consumer-oriented advice and information
- Top 12 solar states
- Minnesota’s 2014 Value of Solar is a formula for calculating how much solar owners should be paid for renewable energy produced.
- Consumer Reports, “Shedding Light on Solar Power,” June 30, 2016
- See the Q&A section on this site for sources of specific component-level information and ratings on solar panels, inverters, solar thermal and other products.
- Green America’s “10 easiest ways to cut your energy bill in half”